The 8 steps

You are required to have a student visa in order to study in Australia. It is important that know the admission requirements of your preferred education provider.  And next thing you should know is your student visa requirements.

The requirements

English requirements

You are required to provide the evidential documents such as IELTS or TOEFL results with adequate score to get the entry into your preferred education provider.  This requirement can be waived if you were born, raised and studied in English-speaking country. English language level required by your education provider can be different from the level required by the Department of Immigration Boarder Protection (DIBP)

Academic requirements

In order to be able to study in Australia you must meet a set of academic requirements including English requirements. The entry requirement can vary based on your level of education you are willing pursue.

The general guidance for entry requirements:

  • English language – Entry requirements vary between institutions depending on the level of English language course you want to study.
  • Schools – Entry requirements may vary between schools depending on the state or territory you will be studying in.
  • Vocational Education and Training (VET) – Most institutions require the applicants to have their year 11 and/or 12 completed .
  • Higher Education Undergraduate – The entry requirement into Australian Higher Education providers is completion Year 12 or equivalent.
  • Higher Education Postgraduate – A successful completion of Bachelor degree or equivalent.

Visa requirements

As a general guide you are required to meet series of things before you apply for a student visa.

  • Conformation of Enrolment (CoE): You will need to have an e-CoE issued by your preferred education provider prior to your student visa lodgement. You will get your e-CoE issued only when you meet academic, English and Financial requirements.
  • Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) You need to prove that you are a genuine temporary entrant while studying in Australia. You are required to have sufficient evidence to prove that you are in Australia only for your study purpose and you will get back to your home country after completion of your desired education. Please click here for more details about GTE
  • Evidence of funds to airfares, course fees and living costs
  • Health and character requirements

The Visa subclass (Prior to 01 July 2016)

  • Independent ELICOS (Subclass 570)
  • Schools (Subclass 571)
  • Vocational Education and Training (Subclass 572)
  • Higher Education (Subclass 573)
  • Postgraduate Research (Subclass 574)
  • Non-award (Subclass 575)
  • AusAID or Defence (Subclass 576)

New visa subclass (effective from 01 July 2016)
There is only one Student visa (subclass 500). Students are entitled to apply for the respective visa subclass 500 from 01 July 2016.

For details, please visit the website of Department of Immigration and Boarder Protection.

Application form for a student visa (Subclass 570-576)